When it comes to oral health, people generally think that having white teeth and straight teeth means good oral health but actually, oral health is not anything about white and straight teeth. Good Oral health means that maintaining good oral hygiene with proper cleaning of mouth and cleaning of teeth, cleaning between the teeth with regular brushing. Maintaining good oral health can help in the prevention of bad breath, tooth decay, gum diseases and cavities in children.
As proper and regular brushing can help maintain oral hygiene but making routine oral examination and checkup at best dental hospital in Chennai is as much as necessary to better understand oral hygiene and maintain good oral health.
Following are some tips to maintain good oral health and to prevent cavities in children:
- Tips to maintain Oral Health:
- Brushing and flossing your teeth regularly is the basic thing to do. A dentist can tell you about the correct ways to brush and floss your teeth.
- Dentists generally advise brushing two times a day and use of fluoridated toothpaste.
- Going for regular dental checkup and cleaning to the dentist.
- Having a healthy diet every day and avoiding sticky food like chewing gum etc.
- Regular use of mouthwash after brushing for removal of harmful and bad breath causing bacteria.
- Regular cleaning of the tongue using cleaner.
- Smoking also makes breath bad smelling and causes bacteria which can cause cavities.
- Minimizing the use of acidic drinks to avoid cavities because such food items cause softening of teeth which leads to cavities. Also, the acids which are contained by such drinks are harmful to tooth enamel.
- Saliva has natural cavity-fighting properties so drink and eat the item which induces saliva making.
- Do not use teeth to crack open nuts, to remove bottle caps etc. because there is always a risk of chipping or breaking of teeth.
- Consult with dentist if there seems to be any problem like bleeding gums or a toothache.
- Tips to prevent cavities in Children:
It might be hard for parents to judge how much a child needs to take care of dental health so here are some tips to prevent cavities in children:
- Before the baby starts growing teeth you can clean the gums using a wet soft cloth to clear away harmful bacteria.
- With the growth of teeth you can use soft infant toothbrush to clean teeth and when the teeth touch from inside you can use floss to clean between the teeth.
- Using fluoridated toothpaste in very small amount is enough to clean the child’s teeth. Also, keep supervising the child until he or she can do it my own to avoid them swallowing of toothpaste.
- Make the child habitual of brushing regularly to avoid cavities cause once learned the kid can do it my own.
- Though it is not possible to keep your kid strictly away from sugary food, acidic juices so try and limit such items for your kid to avoid cavities.